Reduce distribution and delivery costs by at least 25% while still achieving Viewer Experience targets — across all content, devices and delivery networks.
Video providers recognize the importance of delivering a high-quality Viewer Experience to each subscriber—across all content, devices and delivery networks.
In practice, video providers often have two goals:
1. Increase video quality, whether overall or for particular content
2. Reduce delivery costs without lowering quality below acceptable levels
The bitrate myth
One common approach to improving quality is to increase the bitrate, but this approach suffers from two significant problems:
1. Delivering content using a higher-bitrate profile suffers from rapidly diminishing returns and often doesn’t improve the Viewer Experience enough to justify the added costs;
2. When the bitrate is close to the maximum capacity of the delivery network, trying to push a higher-bitrate profile can even harm the Viewer Experience by creating distracting profile switching and quality degradations.
When it comes to reducing costs, the most common tactic is to reduce the bitrate. But unless video providers are carefully monitoring the Viewer Experience, they run the risk of lowering quality by a dangerous degree.
A powerful alternative
ABR ladder optimization, using an objective Viewer Experience score as a guide, is an effective and economic alternative—it lets video providers keep subscribers happy while reducing distribution and delivery costs by at least 25%.
Benefits of using SSIMPLUS
The SSIMPLUS Viewer Score is your guide to understanding how each profile creates a different Viewer Experience.
Leveraging this knowledge, our Professional Services team works with you to:
- Introduce specific solutions for your optimization objectives;
- Prevent the transmission of bits that don’t provide sufficient returns in terms of quality;
- Eliminate redundant profiles that don’t deliver significantly different Viewer Experience scores;
- Deliver the same Viewer Experience using fewer resources;
- Deliver a better or premium Viewer Experience using the same resources.
Additionally, this use case includes use of SSIMWAVE’s proprietary SSIMPLUS VOD Monitor for the duration of the engagement.
This precise approach to ABR ladder optimization can save at least 25% on distribution and delivery costs—without sacrificing the Viewer Experience.
Network tools and technologies
SSIMWAVE's SSIMPLUS VOD Monitor is by far the best device-adaptive perceptual video quality predictor we have seen in the market.Miguel Cabello, Video Technology ArchitectTelefonica
The SSIMPLUS family of algorithms enables us to offer constant perceptual quality encodes and provide significant bandwidth savings for multi-screen video encoding/transcoding.Paul Turner, VP Enterprise Product ManagementTelestream
SSIMWAVE's SSIMPLUS Analyzer [VOD Monitor] is an integral tool for a number of reasons that include high accuracy, device specific presets, and unique capability for cross-resolution and frame rate video quality measurement.Jan Ozer, EditorStreaming Media Magazine